History of linen fabric and why is it sought after amongst people?
For years, Linen fabric has epitomized an amalgamation of comfort, elegance and luxury. Being a natural fabric made from flax plant fibres, it is used to create sartorial accessories and clothing. Unquestionably, it is the fabric of choice for every fashion aesthete. Linen fabric is not only lightweight and soft but has a rich history and evolution.
So, let's delve into the intricacies of linen fabric.
What is Linen?
The flax plant is used to make linen, one of the most admired fabrics. Although linen and cotton are similar, linen fabric is created from fibres that come from the stems of the flax plant as contrasting to the cotton seed bolls that grow surrounding them.
Garments made from linen blend fabric are desirable in hot and humid climates. Contrary to cotton, which has the property to hold onto moisture for a long period, linen fabric dries fast, helping in the reduction of heat retention in excessively heated environments.
History of Linen Fabric
The history of linen goes back a very long time. Egypt is where the origin of linen was discovered about 10,000 years ago. Linen fabric was ideal for the hot Egyptian climate. The flax linen used in Egyptian tombs is still in excellent condition today, allowing us to narrate the history of this ancient culture
Several ancient Latinate cultures also made use of linen clothing. Two thousand years later, linen went global. The Phoenicians imported linen yarn from Scotland and exported it to Persia, India, and China. Shirts, shifts, and chemises were made from linen blend fabric and used beneath wool outerwear in Europe's colder climates.
Today, almost 2000 years later, linen fabric is once again the centre of attention for its low environmental footprint. Linen Fabric has consistently demonstrated its high quality, making them the clear choice for apparel. These days, the major reason that linen is still produced is to make a handful of textile products. One of the most vital and preferred fabrics for making a range of clothing and accessories is linen blend fabric. The linen is also combined with fabrics such as cotton and other regular material to create everyday breathable outfits for hot climates.
The Process of Linen Creation
Linen fabric is made from cellulose fibres found inside the stalks of the flax plant.
- After about 100 days of growth, flax plants are ready for harvesting. To avoid crop death, they must be planted in the cooler parts of the year.
- The plants are either grown by hand or cut from the ground for fiber extraction. Afterwards, seeds are taken out using a technique called ripping
- The next step helps confiscate the stock of the plant from its fibres.
- Once all the fibres are diffused to accumulate the prolonged pieces, they are spun to make yarn that gets woven into fabric.
Why Linen is a desirable fabric?
Given that it is breathable, cool, and comfortable to wear, linen is regarded as a high-end fabric. It works best when the sun is shining brighter on you. You can maintain your style without sacrificing comfort thanks to cotton linen fabric. The following reasons justify why linen blend fabric is deemed to be the most desirable fabric.
- As we already mentioned, linen fabric is a most admired fabric as it is relaxing, long-lasting, soft and dries quickly.
- Linen blend fabric is quite lightweight, which makes it the perfect choice all year round. Linen naturally keeps you warm in winter and its moisture-wicking properties help you stay cool in hot summers.
- We cannot forget that one of the biggest benefits stated about linen fabric is that it is anti-bacterial. This makes linen fabric a highly sought-after fabric since it means that harmful bacteria and other germs have a hard time thriving within fine and closely woven fibres.
- Like cotton, linen can be washed easily. Feel free to wash your linens or toss them into the washing machine. Linen fabric is a durable and strong and comfortable fabric that you will certainly get years of use out of!
Working with a fabric like linen that has such deep roots is incredibly satisfying and intriguing. One of the oldest fabrics found by mankind is linen fabric. It is revered all across the world for its sanctity, comfort, and durability. Years of treasuring this fabric will still leave it in ideal condition. Without a doubt, clothing and accessories made from linen fabric are an ode to perfection.